Friday, May 1, 2009

Ghetto or Not Ghetto. That is the question.

So last night Jeremy and I were strolling down the street whilst walking our dogs. Friday morning is trash day in our neighborhood, so on Thursday night we are typically dodging trash cans and bags of nasty old food. Well- on this particular Thursday night we walked passed a perfectly good headboard and foot board of solid walnut wood. Now, I'm been searching for a cheap, in-good-condition, headboard for our guestroom for a while now. But my searches on Craig's list and second hand stores have left me fruitless. Jeremy saw me eyeing the headboard and said... "no, we are not taking it off the street, that is ghetto"....

So I pouted and kept walking. Me? Pout? I know- total shocker....

So as we were walking back I stopped at the headboard and did my....puhhleassseee... its free!!! So being the good husband he is, he sighed and handed me Leo's leash and picked up the head board (luckily our neighbor, Frank came to help because that thing is HEAVY!)...

So now, we have a headboard AND foot board for our guestroom. I think I'm going to sand it and paint it a fun color while Jeremy is in Israel. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ask any of my readers, my friends and myself if what you did was ghetto and the answer would be a big fat NO. It's called junquing, sidewalk boutiquing, haha it's sounds silly but it's more common than what you think specially with us Cali peeps.
A glossy black or even an eggshell powder blue might work :)
Have fun with your project!

Kimberly said...

totally not ghetto! In my small town every spring they do a put all your junk that the trash guys won't take on the curb and they haul it away. And it is common practice to go diving for great furniture! Great steal and congrats to you. Personally I love walnut's beauty all by itself, just a little sanding and a liberal application of some oil varnish!