Thursday, April 22, 2010

Evenings and My Mom


The older I become, the more I realize I am not so different from my mom. This is a good thing and something I am very grateful for. Whilst our personalities may be different, there are habits that we both have that as I am in the midst of something I think to myself..."wow I feel just like my wonderful mother." Growing up, I remember we had a no phone calls after 9pm rule. I laugh when I think of when my mom heard the phone ring she would immediately respond..."who is calling so late?" While it may not be late for some, we treasured this last hour or so before bed as just a time to wind down and relax and to spend time together. Last night, my phone rang after 9pm and my immediate response was... who is calling me so late? Now, a few months or even a year ago it probably would not have phased me. Lately however, I hit the bed much earlier and as I was reading cozily in my bed at 915, I realized that I am embodying the patterns that I grew up with. I am happy with that and I realized that after 9pm, I really just don't want to talk to anyone. I want to spend time with my husband, read my book, relax. My brain is dead by this hour (if I am not already asleep!). Reflecting on this allowed me to think about how much I love my mom and all the things she stands for. While we may joke on her about her love for her pekingese rescue and some may find it weird, it may be one of the things I treasure most about her. If the weirdest thing she does is save and help animals, I would say mom ranks right up there with the best of them. I love her pekingese paraphernalia, the dog beds in her house, the countless animal toys scattered around the floor. They just remind me of what a big heart my mother has and how very few people have the willingness, heart, or patience to do what she does. Her love is embodied in everything she does from pekingese rescue to the cross she puts on my forehead before I leave her house. I am lucky to call her mom. I am lucky she's my best friend... and I am lucky that I find myself becoming like her more and more everyday.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you, Sugar! I love you!
Love, Mama

Anonymous said...

You both are so lucky to have each other, and to be like each other :)

Keepin it Sassy said...

:) I love this post...and it's so true how mother's influence you in ways you would never imagine. Rules that we thought were stupid when we were younger suddenly make so much sense now...and becoming a mother yourself...you will find even more of your mother in you....and you'll love it....:)