Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Household Tips and then some...

I, personally, have become concerned about the amount of waste that our society produces. The Earth is the Lord’s and we are intended to be caretakers, not destroyers! As a result, I made a few changes around the house to reduce the amount of waste that our household produces as well as save money. I'm becoming a penny pincher and finding great ways to receive the same results as if I had spent a lot more money:




  • Paper towels – I no longer use paper towels for cleaning the house. Instead, I use kitchen dish towels and hand towels for cleaning all the dirty surfaces of my house. Then I toss them in the wash and they’re ready to be used again.

  • Cleaning supplies – The smell of this stuff makes me sick so I know it cannot be good for me! Instead, I take an empty Windex bottle and put in about a ¼ to ½ inch of dish soap and then fill it up with water. Shake it up and viola! You have a wonderful all-purpose cleaner that can get the worst dirt that a lived-in house can throw at you!

  • Fabric softener – I love the wonderful softness that only liquid fabric softener can provide. However, I cannot stand how fast we go through it and how wasteful those big, bulky plastic bottles are. I have recently begun mixing one part fabric softener and one part water in a spray bottle that I leave on the dryer. Before I dry a load of clothes, I spray a clean wash cloth with the mixture and toss it in. It produces clothes that are softer than the traditional dryer sheets and will greatly reduce the amount of waste. Further, I am buying the cardboard containers of softener refill instead of big, bulky plastic bottles.

Those are just a few of the things I am trying. On a side note- I am having major stomach issues. In fact, I have had stomach issues my whole life. I don't remember a week without pains in the belly. At 12, I was diagnosed as being "lactose intolerant" and gave up dairy products. Its become a way of life for me and I really enjoy soy products. My husband drank some of my "special milk for lactose intolerant people" and it made him sick. I guess not everyone is cool with organic. I'm trying to pin point in my diet what it could be that has given me years of stomach misery. Any ideas?


I'm re-reading one of my favorite books- if you haven't read it, you need to! Have a look.


3 comments:

Meghann said...

I started taking that Activa yogurt and it actually seems to be helping me. Wish I had more to offer you :(

We compost and recycle and such. Plus, we grow and freeze our own food in our garden--so no pesticides or fertilizer chemicals. Not everyone can do a big garden, of course--but there are many plants you can grow in containers (tomatoes, peppers, etc)

Anonymous said...

Even though I dont have my own house right now I will take what you've suggested and apply then when we get a house. We went looked at houses on Sat and it was exciting for us:) Just thought I would share that.

Jill Williams said...

I can relate to the tummy trouble. I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrom) in 7th grade brought on by severe stress. I have dealt with it constantly since then. It was caused by stress but other things can trigger it. Dairy, spicy food, stress, coffee, and a number of other things. I still eat dairy, I couldn't give it up but I pay the price. I can not handle straight milk though. Coffee, I have to have 1 cup but more than that and that makes for an angry belly. I hope you figure the trouble out. I will say a rayer for you.