Friday, July 25, 2008

Church

This week has been an emotional week... the constant ups and downs have left me exhausted. Nothing major, life just often throws unexpected turns at me- leaving me a lot to ponder on. I am often comforted by my favorite Bible verse that I have carried with me through times of uncertainty and frustration. Regardless of the circumstance, I am always comforted by Jeremiah 29:11: "For I know the plans I have for you", declares to Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"... Isn't it an amazing feeling, to know that I do not have to worry about my future? That God wants to bless me beyond my dreams? I just have to worry about staying on track- and following His lead.

Jeremy and I are still church hopping. We hope to find a church that allows us to meet good friends and find a sense of community- a church that fits our lifestyle. We consider ourselves to be relaxed when it comes to the type of church we want...nothing too preachy, hell stone and fire, but also nothing that feels more like a rock concert than church. It seems that in today's age- churches are VERY seeker friendly or VERY conservative. I guess we are trying to find one in the middle, which has proven to be a challenge. We are broth drawn to the traditions of the Catholic church. He grew up Lutheran and I grew up in many different denominations but I find my heart at peace and rest when I'm in a Catholic church- which is odd, because I never went to one growing up but became confirmed in the Catholic church at 20. The Catholic church has received a bad rap over the years, but the services and liturgy continue to pull at my heart. I absolutely love it. Jeremy has really enjoyed the services we have gone to as well.

I have learned, that it is not necessarily the denomination that is in important, but the genuineness of the people and biblical grounding of the church. If a church speaks truth, I am all for it regardless of the worship style. Some Catholic churches (and others that have the Eucharist) tend to be more caught up in tradition than actually living a message... I am praying we can find one that is truly, a Bible practicing church. I'm excited about the church home that we will have- right now, we're just visiting and waiting for the "bells" to go off, signaling that that church is where we are meant to be. :)

0 comments: