Saturday, April 11, 2009

Christian yoga?

Most people are shocked when I tell them I have fallen in love with practicing yoga.  I am then asked if I'm going to have a Buddha statue in my house and plant a forest of bamboo.   The answer is no, but I do feel a connection to the eastern practice.   At the beginning of class- the instructor asks you to "choose" an intention for the class that you can focus on and bring your mind to if your thoughts start to wander.  Normally- I wold pick something like, "live organically or strengthen my body or lose weight" but I realize all these superficial intentions don't go with me after class- they tend to stay in the yoga studio.  I forget them when I walk out the door.  I've decided to pick a favorite bible verse to be my new set of intentions.   Today while I'm sweating away in Vinyasa, I plan on focusing on Jeremiah 29:11.  Life has been crazy lately and I need to focus on the fact that God DOES have a plan for me.   As hard as it is to believe sometimes- making that verse my intention will stay with me all day. What are your favorite verses? Share them with me so I can add them to my practice.


NAMASTE!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love Isaiah 43:1-- But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob,And He who formed you, O Israel,"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;I have called you by name; you are Mine!

Meghann said...

two passages I am trying to memorize right now are:
1 Cor 15:57-58 thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

and
Romans 8:35, 37-39 Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Unknown said...

Mols,
Have you read "Eat, Pray, Love." yet? Get it now!
***Bex